Counterweave Crafts / Mestiere
Beginning in late 2017, Counterweave will start to offer workshops in a range of traditional and contemporary techniques.
We firmly believe in the benefits of making by hand – the tactility of stitching on silk, of charcoal on heavy paper, hand carving and printing your own Japanese woodblock print. The instant feedback and gratification of learning a new skill, and making something beautiful: enjoying the process as well as the product.
An important part of our artistic philosophy is to understand and become comfortable with a technique before leaping off to explore its possibilities – you need the basics before you can fly!
William, Felicity and invited international tutors will provide workshops, group and one-on-one sessions to teach, guide and explore the following techniques.
- Using a drop spindle to spin silk, wool and other fibres
- Indigo dyeing
- Japanese woodblock printing (mokuhanga)
- Solar etching and printing
- Making and weaving shifu (Japanese paper-based techniques)
To find out what’s on offer and for earlybird discounts:
- check our events calendar (coming soon)
- subscribe to our Facebook page
- follow Counterweave on Instagram
Gallery and Workshop
Counterweave gallery & workshop in Rome will open in March/April 2017 – Specialising in Australian Aboriginal and contemporary arts and crafts. Workshops and mentoring in print and fibre craft techniques.